our services

GROUP or PRIVATE SPANISH LESSONS in JÁVEA, SPAIN.

WRITTEN SPANISH-ENGLISH & ENGLISH-SPANISH TRANSLATION SERVICE anywhere in the world!
fully legal invoices

¡la profesora!

¡la profesora!

New Scam - be careful on the streets!

This happened to John, who comes to the Thursday morning group - he has agreed that I share it with you all - thanks John
Saturday 26th Feb Time 12.10 mid day,venue Calle Joan Fuster Javea Port,Iwas walking back home after buying a paper when I was stopped by a Spanish chap who flashed a wallet and rattled off in Spanish and when I said that I didnt understand he then changed to English and said that  he was Police and where had I just come from ?,I asked why and he said two men one of whom was dressed similarly to me had just tried to draw money from a local beareau with a false card,had I just drawn any money ?,no,let me see,showed him my wallet keeping hold of it all the time,had I any ID,yes,show me,checked my passport card and NIE ,all the time he was rattling off in Spanish on his mobile,had I any dollars?no,show me.I just have,any English money yes a £5 note,show me,I did,OK sir thank you for your cooperation always keep your ID on you and have a good day,so off he went.

My immediate feeling was of concern as I had in 70 odd years never been stopped before,on returning home and discussing it with my wife we went over to our daughters in Benitachell and discussed it with our daughter and son in law who both thought that I had been "scammed"for my passport and NIE details,so I asked my daughter who has a fair understanding of Spanish to come with me to the Guardia station in Javea.

Fortunately one guy spoke fair English who told us to sit and wait for a detective who came and ushered us through into a back office and my daughter related all details,I was then asked if I would look at various pictures of known criminals non of whom fitted the guy who stopped me,so a statement was typed out in duplicate signed and  I was then asked if I was prepared to come and see more pictures,no problem.

Three days later the Guardia phoned and asked me if I would mind having a look at some more pictures,went down and was shown several CCTV pictures of a guy who had tried to draw money from a bank cash point in Benitachell on the 28th of Feb,he looked similar but I couldnt be 100% certain,so we left it at that.

The guy in question would be around 40, 5foot,7/8 inches,stocky build sallow complexion,thin on top,smart dresser,light brown check sports jacket,it looked rather too big for him,faint brown striped shirt,fawn trousers,brown lace uo shoes shiny and he was very authorative full of confidence.

One of the police said in his 20 odd years in the force this was the first time this had happened,it wont again to me.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive



ballenas en Jávea


el mar hierve en El Hierro



paella valenciana


shark!!


horchata amb fartons


floods 2007

floods 2007





bous a la mar

bous a la mar

super luna 2011

super luna 2011


the church in the port

the church in the port

great coffee & ensaimadas ..and so much more!

arroz negro - yummy!

arroz negro - yummy!